With passion comes the pursuit of perfection. It is not enough to be good. Great is okay but not good enough. It is mastery of your chosen field that matters. You want to know that you are one of the best even if no one else recognizes it. For many of us, whether anyone recognizes it or not doesn’t matter at all. We pursue perfection for personal satisfaction. It can be a very thankless, lonely quest.
It need not be thankless or lonely with photography. In today’s world, there is a glut of resources available to help you hone your skills. Today, I would like to introduce you to some of my favorite sources of learning and inspiration.
Photography Education and More
The following sites are just a few of my favorites. Over the years, each of them have given me valuable insights into how I can be a better photographer.
- CreativeLive has been at my side for years. Everything from basic camera operations to color theory to posing, they cover it all. They have expanded beyond photography and into other venues. Looking for some life skills? Check them out!
- Photofocus is a blog that covers a variety of photography-related topics from business practices to gear. If you are into podcasts, they are there, too!
- Fstoppers pops up on my social media feeds all the time. It is a self-perpetuating reminder. They have a wide variety of articles which can be educational, entertaining, and enlightening.
Other Options for Finding Perfection
Step beyond the internet if you can. Better yet, leverage the internet to help you make more direct connections with other resources, such as these:
- Conferences such as WPPI, Imaging USA, and Shutterfest are a great way to learn, network, and find inspiration.
- Professional organizations such as PPA and the American Society of Media Photographers (AMSP) are great for education, networking, and other resources.
- Smaller, related organizations in your area such as local camera clubs or regional groups
- Local workshops offered or hosted by local photographers. Search sites such as Meetup which can help you get plugged in.
This is just the tip of the iceberg. The most important thing to remember is that your quest for perfection starts with you! I hope I’ve helped steer you towards at least one place where you might be able to find some help on your quest. I would love to hear what your favorite sources for information are, too. Take a moment to share a link below!